Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Material Hangers

Craft Room Organizing: Part II

My material is currently stored in large 18 gallon tubs under my craft table. Rummaging through them to find what I need/have is a pain. I never remember what I have in my stash either.  Purusing Pinterest hasn't helped much either. I did find this one here, but I don't have the shelf space. 

While I was digging through my craft room today, I came upon these cooling racks that I bought at the Dollar Tree Store. (Remember, I said it was my favorite store.)  I picked them up one day knowing they would be great for something, just not knowing at the time what.  Guess what? I figured it out.



I sorted my material by colors and hung them from the rungs. I love how you can see each piece of material. All the pieces were 2 yards or less. The cuts that were bigger than 1 yard I spaced every other rung. A yard and less cuts were hung using every rung.


White ribbon (also a Dollar Tree purchase) tied the cooling-turned-fabric racks to a sturdy hanger. (Note: standard tube hangers were too weak, but I noticed at my last Dollar Tree Visit that they now have Heavy Duty Plastic Hangers so I wonder if those would work.) Now my fabric is ready to be hung in the closet for easy viewing and access. I'm already eyeing some for a cute summer skirt for my little girl.




Materials:
Wire Cooling Racks, 2 pk (Dollar Tree): $1
White Grossgrain Ribbon (Dollar Tree): $1, or on hand
Sturdy Plastic Hanger: on hand

TOTAL: $1 and up for 2!

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea. My daughter has started showing an interest in sewing and has been collecting fabric scraps. This would be a great way to help her see what she has to work with and it does get it out of her fabric bag. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a FABULOUS IDEA Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That's a brilliant idea. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete